Wednesday, April 1

Finished: Urchin Hat

(Three more FOs to post and I am caught up.)


Urchin hat


Urchin not only marks a finished project, but my first finished project from handspun yarn. I used my first spinning attempt on Lennie the Lendrum, this lumpy designer CVM wool:


first handspun yarn



I can't find any notes that tell me how many yards I had, but I'm sure I measured it at some point. Although maybe not, since I did run out of yarn about 3/4 of the way through the hat and had to spin some more up.

An interesting thing is that when I went to recreate my lumpy designer yarn, it was actually difficult to make it lumpy enough to match. Apparently the few weeks of spinning practice in between evened out my drafting enough so that getting that "designer" look is actually a skill and not an accident. You can see the difference in the last quarter of the hat if you know what you are looking for. I guess I am now too talented to make chunky lumpy yarn on accident and no where near good enough to make it on purpose. Oh well.

Pattern: Urchin by Ysolda Teague, Knitty Fall '07 (on Ravelry)
Yarn: handspun CVM ("Madge" from The Fold), 2 ply
Needles: US10 straight
Started/Finished: February 26/February 28

No comments: