Tuesday, January 11

It's (not) an illusion

I have been wanting to try my hand at illusion knitting for a while now. I want to make the alien scarf from S&B, and have looked at the new Shadow Knitting book, but figured a little practice couldn't hurt.

So I found a chart for illusion hearts online and had a go at it using some red and while cotton yarn. I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept at first (as in why it works and what makes it work) but I think I get it now. I guess I need more practice; I found lots of mistakes as I was going along that I didn't want to rip back and take out (besides the zillions that I did take out) but the illusion is kind of there.

from above:





and at an angle:





Now the background was supposed to be white and the hearts red but the chart I used was not very specific on which was the main/contrasting color. If you tilt your head and squint you might be able to see a heart or two! I'm going to have a go at it again and only put one heart in the middle - less to keep track of until I know what I am doing!

No comments: