Thursday, July 28

knit first, then vent

It has been so hot here the last week or so, I really have not felt like knitting much. Especially my merino wool sweater - which just needs one and a quarter sleeves but is waaay to warm to be sitting in my lap. But I did whip up this little dishcloth one night while watching Ocean's 11.



fabulous, isn't it?



OK, I really need to get a few things off my mind. This has absolutely nothing to do with knitting, and I hate to mix even the slightest bit of politics into this blog, so feel free to skip. Do you know that feeling where your mind is just too full of stuff to even think? I've got that right now.

1) Something, I am not sure what yet, happened a few blocks down the street from where I work this afternoon. Whatever it was, it involved the bomb squad and about a half mile of road being totally shut down, including the only street entrance to the VA hospital where I work. I took the bus this morning, so I didn't have to worry about being trapped in the parking lot all evening but it did give me a slightly panicky feeling of "well what if I couldn't get out?"

2) My cousin, who is studying at Oxford for a semester, was safely out of London when the bombs went off July 7th. But she was back for a day trip and ended up (I'm sure you see this one coming) a block or so away from the second "failed" attack. It gives me the chills just to think about. What bothers me the most is she has this awesome opportunity to study abroad but now has to plan activities around not getting blown up.

3) Speaking of being blown up, I ran into an old friend I hadn't seen since my second or so year of college. He had lost his arm in Iraq. Honestly, what do you say to that? Especially when you believe he shouldn't have been there in the first place?

4) Another cousin started boot camp for the Marine Reserves this week in California. He has been on my mind a lot, but I know this is what he wants. I can't let myself think any farther than that. Especially in conjunction with any of my other points.

5) I just finished My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult . A very good read, especially since I work with some of the medical things discussed. I was totally hooked by the plot and the characters, and thought I had it all figured out. But the story took a sharp left turn at the end, and has been replaying in my head since I finished it. I won't say any more about it, in case anyone wants to read. If you have read it, did you have the same reaction?

No comments: